Things change. We understand that the unexpected is a part of life. But there are ways we can help you get covered when the unexpected happens.
If you weren’t able to get coverage during this Annual Enrollment Period, or if something important has changed and you need a new plan, you may be able to get a Special Enrollment Period (SEP).
During an SEP, you can buy a new plan or make changes to your current plan.
To get an SEP, you need a qualifying life event (something that has changed your insurance needs). Qualifying life events include:
- Getting Married
- Having, adopting, or the placement of a child
- Permanently moving to a new area offering different health plan options
- A change in income or household status, which can change how much government help you can get
- Losing other health coverage because of:
- Job loss
- Loss of eligibility for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Expiration of COBRA coverage
- Your health plan no longer meets the requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- Reduction or termination of employer contributions
- Significant increase in the cost of your plan
If any of these items describes your situation, you have 60 days after that event to enroll in a new plan. You can shop with us online or call us at 1-877-686-1168 for help finding a plan.
Your new coverage date will depend on the kind of life event you had and what day of the month you enroll. Learn more about when your new plan will start.
Losing your coverage doesn’t always mean you get an SEP. You can’t get one if you lose your insurance because:
- You didn’t pay your premiums
- You chose on your own to quit your other health coverage
- You lost a short-term plan or (in some cases) a Catastrophic plan
If you can’t get an SEP, you can always get covered with a short-term plan at any time. While they do help with your health costs, they aren’t qualified health plans under the ACA, which means you could still have to pay a tax penalty in the next year.
Still not sure what to do in your situation? Call us at 1-877-686-1168 for help figuring out your options.