Today we have a delicious and healthy pasta sauce recipe from one of our own members, Carl Anzelmo of Champaign! Bon appetit!
Pomodoro Sicilian Pasta Sauce
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Spanish onion, diced
4 (or more to taste) garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons fresh or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 medium carrot, finely shredded
2 – 28 oz cans peeled, whole San Marino tomatoes (crushed by hand with the juices reserved)
Salt to taste
1. In 3 quart sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown (10-15 minutes).
2. Add thyme and carrots, cook 5 minutes more until carrot is quite soft.
3. Add tomatoes and reserved juice and bring to boil, stirring often.
4. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the sauce is as thick as hot cereal. Season with salt.
5. Serve over pasta. (You can reserve 1 cup of pasta water to add to the sauce to thin as desired.)
Yield 4 cups.
Sauce can be cooked ahead. Good for 1 week in refrigerator, 6 months in freezer.