Today we have a delicious and healthy pasta sauce recipe from one of our own members, Carl Anzelmo of Champaign! Bon appetit!
Pomodoro Sicilian Pasta Sauce
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Spanish onion, diced
4 (or more to taste) garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons fresh or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 medium carrot, finely shredded
2 – 28 oz cans peeled, whole San Marino tomatoes (crushed by hand with the juices reserved)
Salt to taste
- In 3-quart sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown (10-15 minutes).
- Add thyme and carrots, cook 5 minutes more until carrot is quite soft.
- Add tomatoes and reserved juice and bring to boil, stirring often.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the sauce is as thick as hot cereal. Season with salt.
- Serve over pasta. (You can reserve 1 cup of pasta water to add to the sauce to thin as desired.)
Yields 4 cups.
Sauce can be cooked ahead. Good for 1 week in refrigerator, 6 months in freezer.