It’s that time of year again where the winter blues are finally behind us, the chance of rain diminishes a little each day, and summer is just around the corner. I thoroughly enjoy the abundance of sunshine and all the events this beautiful time of year brings to our local communities.
As most of us strive for a well-balanced lifestyle, I wanted to share a little information that might be useful to you or someone you know. One thing I love to do on a Saturday morning is browse the local farmers markets. Each one is unique in its own way and offers many different varieties of products, from homegrown vegetables and local honey to crafts and much more. This summer, I encourage you to get out and buy local while maintaining that well-balanced lifestyle.
To help you out, here are the local farmers markets in our area:
- Richmond, Wayne County: This outdoor market begins on May 5 in Elstro Plaza and continues every Saturday, 8 a.m. to noon, through the end of October. Also, from July until September, they have a weekly Tuesday night market from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. in Elstro Plaza as well.
- Connersville, Fayette County: Starting in mid-May, this outdoor market is every Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon in the downtown courthouse parking lot.
- Liberty, Union County: This outdoor market begins in May and is on Friday evenings from 4:30 p.m. until dark in the courthouse square.
- Brookville, Franklin County: This outdoor market begins May 17 and runs until the end of growing season from 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. It’s located at the space in front of the Brookville Treatment Plant.
- New Castle, Henry County: This outdoor market runs from mid-May through mid-October and is every Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon. It’s located on the east side of the Henry County Courthouse.
- Eaton, Preble County: This outdoor market runs from mid-May through the end of September and is on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the corner of Barron and Somers streets.
- Greenville, Darke County: This outdoor market runs from June 2 to October 13 and is every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in front of the Darke County Courthouse at the corner of 4th and Broadway.
Morgan Gunder is a community and broker liaison for Reid Health Alliance. Born in the South and raised in the Midwest, she is a wife and mother with a passion for traveling, learning, and technology.