The spring break travel season has arrived! Each year, more than 65 million Americans travel for spring break, and this number continues to grow year after year.
When planning our next trip, the last thing we want to think about is the risk of getting sick or injured and whether good medical care will be available at our destination. We bask in the sun on white-sand beaches, zipline in the jungle, ski in the mountains, camp in the woods, and explore new countries. But the truth is that when getting away from it all, we are usually also away from quality health care.
This is why we offer Emergency Travel Assistance Services, provided by our partner, Assist America. The Assist America program is designed to get you to the best possible care provider in the shortest possible time.
Let’s take a look at how this program works:
A college student from North Carolina was driving to meet his friends for spring break. While jet-skiing, he got into an accident with a sailboat and suffered multiple fractures and a severe concussion. The local hospital he was admitted to at the time of the incident was not capable of appropriately treating such serious injuries. Assist America was notified and evacuated the student via private jet ambulance to an excellent facility capable of treating his injuries. Once he was in stable condition and released from the facility, Assist America arranged and paid for a first class return trip home with a medical escort.
What happened to his car? Assist America looks at all the elements involved in any case. The travel assistance company arranged and paid for an agent to drive the vehicle to the student’s home, so that it would be available to him upon his return and recovery.
As a general rule, remember that Assist America provides the following services:
- Medical referrals
- Emergency medical evacuation
- Hospital admission assistance
- Medical monitoring
- Medical or non-medical escorts
- Compassionate visit
- Care of minor children
- Return of mortal remains
- Prescription assistance
- Lost luggage assistance
- Language assistance
- Return of vehicle
- Legal referrals
- Pre-trip planning
Travel Assistance plans are not all the same, and here are the reasons why we partner with Assist America to offer the right plan that works for our members:
- With Assist America, members will not be charged for the services provided. Assist America pays for all of the services it arranges.
- Members can travel anywhere in the world, from the most remote places to areas at risk, Assist America has no geographical exclusions.
- While some plans have strict exclusions for pre-existing conditions, Assist America will not exclude a member because of past or existing health issues.
- Members can be adventurous with peace-of-mind, knowing that Assist America will be there if needed, no matter what sport or activity members do.
- Many plans have dollar limits on how much they will pay for a service, such as a medical evacuation – Assist America does not.
Make this year’s spring break memorable by having fun and helping yourself and your family stay safe and healthy. When leaving for your spring break vacation, remember to download the free Assist America Mobile App for Android and iPhone for immediate connection with Assist America’s 24/7 Operation Center and access to a wide range of services.
App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.