Back-to-school time always comes on so fast. Take the time now to make sure your kids know what to do in these situations as they head back-to-school with diabetes.
Things to Know Going Back-to-School with Diabetes
- Who they can go to for help at school.
- What they might need to get help with.
- When they will eat, test their blood sugar levels, and take insulin.
- Where to keep their supplies, test their levels, or take their insulin.
- How they can check their levels themselves if this is something they are old enough to do.
- Do they have an idea what’s on their Diabetes Medical Management Plan (DMMP), their 504 Plan, or Individualized Education Plan (IEP). These help the school know what they need and keep them safe and having fun all year long, but it’s also good that they know what the school might ask of them.
- And, remember to send snacks for when their blood glucose is low.
Visit Diabetes.org for even more great advice for helping your kids at school and more.